I have zero Proofpoint experience but I'll echo what most others have
said,
"if you can afford it you will not be disappointed."  I can say that we
get
essentially no spam.  Also, it was easy to whitelist the few small
businesses we deal with that have mis-configured mail servers who also
refused to fix them.

If it is too much, I'd encourage you to eval the CanIT Pro appliance from
Roaring Penguin.  (it's also available as software only which could be run

in a VM).

~JasonG