Oh, also note that given the model number of a disk drive, you can almost
always find the spec sheet online. If not on the manufacturer's website, then
on a number of industry websites.

________________________________
From: Michael B. Smith [mich...@owa.smithcons.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:19 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Exchange 2007

John - It's a current Wiley softback, so I hope so.

Sean - Yes, I've seen that change in performance profile. To quote a paragraph
from my section on storage performance: "The numbers ... are typical, and they
represent true IOPS, not sustained read performance. To calculate the IOPS for
a particular physical disk, you will need the specification sheet from the
manufacturer. On the spec sheet, hunt for the number for latency (usually
between 1.0 and 2.0 ms) and the number for average access (usually between 10ms
and 20ms). Add the two together. Divide 1,000 by that value to get the IOPS for
completely random access."

For example, if you have a disk with a latency of 2ms and average access of
20ms, then the IOPS for random access is 1000 / (20 + 2) = 45. Note that
sustained read access on the same disk may have a read access as low as 10 ms;
giving a sustained read performance of 1000 / (10 + 2) = 85 IOPS. That's a 89%
improvement from random-I/O to sustained-read.

(That particular example is from a 10K RPM SATA disk. The change in performance
is fairly typical.)