From: Boggis, Josh [mailto:josh.bog...@uconn.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 10:23 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: stopping spam from inside server?

To be clear, this is the same as normal traffic.  This is not being done on an
open relay, a user has given out their ID/Password to a phishing scheme, and
they are logging in remotely over OWA to send out large amounts of spam.  It
the same as a professor sending out 5000 mails to an academic group they run.
This is where things get tough for me.  I am looking for something to
distinguish a user who has been compromised and is sending out spam vs a user
sending out valid large amounts of email.

Oh and I forgot to put in, we are running Exchange 2007.  Do have Forefront
installed to handle antivirus, and have a few barracuda boxes for spam
filtering incoming.