You could have a read of this article from the Exchange team blog. It won't
tell you what the problem is, but by following the text you may be able to
identify what's causing it:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/04/19/425722.aspx

From: bounce-8812011-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
[mailto:bounce-8812011-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com] On Behalf Of Russ
Patterson
Sent: 03 February 2010 16:10
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Version Store full on two E2k7 mailbox servers

Firstly, Thanks to both Richard & Rob - great ideas so far. We do have
OfficeScan running on the filesytems on that box, but we administer it from an
AV server with all Exchange servers in a specific group that has all Exchange
files (including logs & mdbs etc etc) excluded. We don't have MailScan on
thiose boxes as yet.

Whats getting a bit scary is we're already getting warnings on the one that we
rebooted yesterday while I was out that the version store is 75% used for one
store:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchangeIS