I've recently noticed that slight pause when users attempt sorting or
navigating through sub-folders inside their Inbox. I did recently put the
databses on network storage via iSCSI. During real busy times of the day i
see AVG disk/sec write and AVG disk/sec read spike but overall performance
has been ok.  The hiccups aren't very long, milliseconds if that, but
obviously noticeable enough that Helpdesk gets a few calls, the president
being one of course.

Similar environment as yours: EXCH2k3 SP2 but on WIN2k SP4 OS and OLK2K3
clients. There are a few intangibles missing from your setup which i'm sure
would help:

how many mailboxes ?
BES? if yes, how many users ?
How many mbx servers?
local storage?

In my case i have ~600 mailboxes with roughly 60 BES users and 25 Goodlink
users with one mailbox server. I've read about the increase in RPC requests
with BES users and real-time synch, but am unsure what more i could do since
my environment isn't really large or unique,

I've been meaning to ask the list if Outlook 2007 would reap
any noticeable performance gains over Outlook 2003.