From: Brown, Larry [mailto:larry.br...@dplinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:01 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2007 Spam Filtering

Exchange 2007, SPAM SCL set to 7.

To save money our company elected to rely on Exchange's native SPAM
filtering on the Exchange Edge servers.  However, now we are getting
complaints about the high level of SPAM getting through to users.  One user
is getting as many as 100 SPAM emails a day.and of course he is a VIP.

He does not want to change his email address.  But he does want us to "fix"
this problem without spending money.

We are considering blocking Asian and Eastern European domains, as we don't
do business with those parts of the world.

We also use free Real Time Black Lists (remember, can't spend money), Sender
ID check, and the open proxy test.

Sadly, when reviewing a lot of the SPAM our user has received we have found
way too many SCL's of 0 for emails that are obviously SPAM.

Oh, and lowering the SCL to 6 is also not an option, and it doesn't look
like it would make much of a difference anyway.

Can anyone think of anything we have missed?  Is there a way to tweak the
native anti-spam filtering to make it work better?  Or is this as good as it
gets?