I don't think there is a supported way to do it in production without
uninstalling and reinstalling Exchange.  I have used legacydn in a
purpose-built virtual Exchange 2003 environment to recover some data from
old backups, but as soon as I was done I nuked the whole thing.  (I wouldn't
have had to do change the org name if I had realized it was not the default
when I built the one off virtual domain.  I used legacydn to save time and
not have to rebuild the temporary domain.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324606