My normal strategy is to move the log files to a different disk after verifying
the DB is in a Clean Shutdown state. We then take a flat file backup of the
logs and a new, full online backup of the database is taken.

Richard

From: bounce-9057822-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
[mailto:bounce-9057822-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com] On Behalf Of Michael
B. Smith
Sent: 12 August 2010 20:35
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Log Drive Full

You can do that IF AND ONLY IF you know exactly which log files are required to
remount the Exchange database.

It's a whole lot easier to tell someone how to compress files than it is to
tell them how to determine which log files they need to remount the Exchange
database.

Besides which, at the time you remove the log files, you also lose
point-in-time recovery of your Exchange database. That is, it is potentially a
lossy recovery and may impact a company's RPO (Recovery Point Objective). I
rarely, if ever, recommend a lossy recovery when there are other options still
available.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP