From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 11:48 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Possible Email Virus

Good story!

You probably could've just sent a very stern e-mail company wide with the
Subject: "I love you".....they all would've probably read it.

- Sean
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Kat Aylward
<messagel...@gmail.com<mailto:messagel...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Little story...

I was new at a Silicon Valley startup... I'd been there maybe 5 months
as the Exchange Admin and had managed to stay under the radar for most
people.  I also had knee surgery about 6 weeks prior.  That Friday
morning, I was at home (about 8:30-9:00am) and my MOM called me to say
"honey, I just heard about this virus..." as my work cellphone was
ringing.  "Gotta go, mom..." and I picked up a frantic call from my
boss.  He says all hell has broken out and I tell him to shut down the
exchange servers... so he pushes the power button on all 3!!  ACK!!!
After I swallow the vicious comment I was about to make, I headed into
the office with a parka, gloves, warm socks and long pants (remember
this was May in California and it's normally warm if you dont have to
live in the datacenter).  After 36 hours of restoring a full standard
16 gb database and catnaps under conference room tables, I finally got
to go home having fully restored, upgraded and repaired the crashed
DB.  Mailboxes were cleaned out and users were "educated" with my
LART!

Fast forward to the following Friday... my Jr. Admin all of the sudden
freaks out and says "It's happening again!" which puts me into full
out "BIATCH mode".  I hobble to one end of the building, shouting "If
you receive an email from UserX and UserY, DO NOT OPEN IT, I repeat DO
NOT OPEN IT!!!! and then hobbled to the other end, repeating this
"bellowed refrain" upstairs and down....   After I got back to my desk
and got my breath back, I headed to the datacenter on our floor.  My
boss had shut things down properly this time, and his boss and he were
standing there waiting for me... with my boss's Army Ranger parka in
hand because I had taken all my warm stuff home after the last
weekend.  I composed myself as best as I could (see prior BIATCH mode
statement) and I told them I needed to talk to the company at the
meeting that was starting in 10 minutes downstairs.  They got me to
promise I wasn't going to kill anyone and checked me for my LART, then
gave permission for me to leave the DC....

I headed down to the Company-wide meeting in the cafeteria, hobbled
over to the President and said "I need 5 minutes of this meeting".  He
looked at me and said... "of course".... and stepped clear.   As I am
heading to the front of the room, I am seeing all of these
20-somethings looking at me like I have horns, and they are trying to
figure out who I am, Ranger parka and all.  I am someone of a slightly
older generation, shall we say, and I as I was headed up, I kept
trying to think of a way not to look like a ranting and raving
Lunatic.  As I am composing myself, I see UserX and User Y skulk
across the back of the room, trying to stay out of my line of
sight.....  I took a breath and thought about how I would talk to my
young adult son (then about 20 himself).  So here is what I said:

Hello, you might not know me but my name is Kat and I manage the email
system here.  (you could hear the silent intake of whooshed breath at
that)

I continued:

Practicing Safe Email is like practicing Safe Sex:
1. Always know who you are doing it with...
2. Always use protection...
3. and if you don't think you should be doing it, you probably shouldn't!!!

And with that I proceeded to hobble back out to the DC, watching their
slackened jaws hit the floor in shock and disbelief at what I had just
said... but they were still talking about it 7 months later when at
the Company Holiday party I was asked where my Ranger Parka was!!!!

Still one of my crowning glories in corporate history there!!

--
Kat Aylward