You mention open source...

If you or anyone there has a modicum of experience with Unixy mail
software such as Postfix, Exim, or Sendmail you can do it.  I recommend to
do this since this kind of SMTP software is a much better Swiss-Army knife
for arbitrary mail routing and filtering and you will only very rarely
have to do any operational debugging once it is set up.  You could
probably do this kind of simple functionality on an old Pentium III 512MB
server with more than enough performance to spare.  Just have a mirrored
volume and dual power supplies and you can set it and forget it

I've been waiting a long time, but Exchange just doesn't have these
characteristics.  It's sorta like how you can't have Outlook rules apply
to outgoing mail, apply rules to arbitrary headers, or heck (in the latest
version) even maintain header fidelity on replies and forwards.  I guess
these kind of very basic things aren't a priority as your average
secretary or senior executive don't generally know to ask for these
features.  Someday maybe I.T. will count as a customer too.

Rant done, sorry.

~JasonG