Thanks Michael. It looks like all is going well with the VSS writer until this
message (which appears as informational, not an error) shows up:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        wsbexchange
Date:          10/10/2010 12:01:49 PM
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
The description for Event ID 0 from source wsbexchange cannot be found. Either
the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or
the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the
local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be
saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service started

----

Then, about 17 minutes later, I get four messages like this:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchange ADAccess