Turn on firewall logging and see what IP's and ports it's connecting to.

From: Oliver Marshall [mailto:oliver.marsh...@g2support.com]
Sent: 13 October 2010 13:41
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: SMTP service causing massive outgoing bandwidth usage

Hi chaps,

We have an oddity, or perhaps not such an oddity, with an Exchange 2003
box using up all the outgoing bandwidth. The issue appears to be
outgoing emails. If we stop the SMTP service then the bandwidth
immediately drops. If we turn it back on then within about a minute the
bandwidth is used up and the router graphs so that the Exchange servers
IP is uploading stuff.

However, with the SMTP service started, the Exchange queues are nearly
empty (currently 2 emails showing, both valid). The SMTP log itself
doesn't show a massive number of connections to the smarthost (postini).
Postini aren't reporting a large number of emails being sent to their
server (at least no larger than normal). There aren't any current
connections showing in the SMTP entry in Exchange Admin either. Relaying
is limited to just Postinis IPs and, as no one uses the SMTP server to
send emails as they all use OWA, no one is allowed to use the SMTP
server at all.

I can't see why, given that the queues are empty and the logs show
nothing major, why the SMTP service should be causing such an upload
usage...unless it's sending out loads of emails, then why aren't these
showing up in any queues/logs ?

Anyone knnow what we've missed or what might be going on?

Olly

MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England
Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
VAT Registration  GB 114 5409 96

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and
notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.  You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.