Stability? No.

Speed? Perhaps.

The mainline folders should have 100K or fewer items in them (e.g., Inbox, Sent
Items, Deleted Items, etc.).

Also, without getting into too much detail on the structure of an OST (you can
find it on Microsoft's technet if you are really interested), there is a
"folder of folders". Basically a folder that contains pointers to every other
folder. You don't want that to approach 100K items either.

Also, once you get above the 10-15 GB mark, you should be looking at least at
7200 RPM disk; and above 30 GB you might want to look at SSD. Plus assume that
Outlook is going to use 2 GB RAM.

Now, that's all client side.

On the server side, Exchange doesn't care one bit. Validation was done up to
100 GB and the published maximum size is 16 TB (although not a validated size).
In fact, you can logically assume that a Public Folder database is a single
mailbox. There are people with PF databases that are many hundreds of GB in
size.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP