From: xyz [mailto:x...@minneapolis.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 8:20 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Apostrophe in email address - best practice?

Greetings,

We have for example user  John O'Brian.

>From what I read, John.O'br...@company.com is legal per RFC2822 but
currently we have set john.obr...@company.com

...the local-part of the e-mail may use any of these ASCII characters:

* Uppercase and lowercase letters
* The digits 0 through 9
* The characters,! # $ % & ' * + - / =? ^ _ ` { | } ~
* The character "." provided that it is not the first or last character in
the local-part.

However, I also read that some email applications may not process ( ' )
correctly. ( I can deal with that with other SMTP address options if needed)

(user AD login name is obrianjo, and has that default mailbox alias)

In 2010 EXCHANGE MANAGEMENT CONSOLE - RECIPIENT CONFIGURATION - MAILBOX -
John OBrian Properties, we show:

GENERAL tab = John OBrian

USER INFORMATION tab - Last Name=OBrian

USER INFORMATION tab - Name=John OBrian

At minimum, I would like this to display properly in the campus OAB.

Would I need to change to O'Brian in all three fields above?

I could then add John.O'br...@company.com  as another SMTP email address,
(or would this happen automatically by changing the above fields?)

This is a new high level administrator so I want to be careful to not mess
anything up.

We have done this both ways on our old GROUPWISE system, but what is best
practice in EXCHANGE?

Thanks for your help.

Dana