I'm surprised this is still happening in BES 5.0 (but going to Ex2k10 soon)
but basically we ran into this whenever our DC/GC that BES server's MAP
profile's tethered onto goes down for maintenance & BES is left with no GC
to refer the lookup requests to. What we've done without applying the
patch/enabling GC referral is to note the GC BES is connected to &
coordinate reboots.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16118