From: David Liu [mailto:ganymed...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 10:00 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: 2010 migration

Sorry to hijack the thread but conitnuing on the thread of backup, is it
suicidal to backup the active db?

Problem we run into in our environemtn as we plan out migration to 2010 is that
we have one prod site & one DR site & our backup library & mgmt console both
reside in prod.

So, in other to perform 2010 backup either we'd have to spin up another server
hosting all the passive mb db's or cough up extra $$ to set up a backup
enviroement in our DR site to backup the passive db's.

I understand best practice is to backup passive db's but what is everyone doing
in a situation such as ours, which I assume is quite a common setup.

We are overprovisioning our Ex2k10 setup to use 10K RPM SAS disks/8 core
proc's/36GB RAM on 2 mb servers hosting some 4000 mb's averaging 300mb each
(which is more than what the mailbox calculator recommends) but I'm still not
not sold that we wont run into potential performancne issues if we were to
backup the active db's. Any thoughts?

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Sobey, Richard A