Recently, we installed a new Web Content Filter.  It is designed to sit inline
on the path to the internet where it will inspect all http and https traffic.
Initially we did not install it into the internet path, as we wanted to
configure several features before doing so.  When we connected the filter, it
was in the same IP subnet as all of our other servers.  This is where the
problem started.

When we connected the filter, it started receiving packets from our Outlook Web
Access server.  And coincidentally OWA stopped working for us.  We removed the
filter's Ethernet cable and voila, OWA started working again.  I changed IP
addresses, and ports within the switch and it continued to follow the filter.
Whenever I plugged into the filter, OWA stopped working and we saw the packets
at the filter.  Both IP addresses were unused prior to use on the filter.  The
ports were also known to be working.

I plugged a laptop directly into the filter and took a look at the dashboard
and found something interesting.  All the traffic seen by the filter was from
the OWA server or the autodiscover server.  This led me to try something new.
I assigned the filter an IP address in a different subnet, configured the
switch port properly, and the filter came online without being sent all the
autodiscover and OWA packets (and OWA stayed up and running).

Anyone have any ideas what could be making autodiscover and OWA send packets to
this filter when it is on the same subnet but not when it is on a different
subnet?  Sounds like some kind of layer 2 problem, but I have no idea what it
could be.

Thanks,
Robert