Sorry, this is going to be a bit long -

We have recently started having problems with IMAP connections dropping and
clients having difficulty reconnecting. It affects a subset of IMAP users at
any one time i.e. I might be experiencing it but the guy in the office next
door may not. The severity of the effect is dependent on the client e.g.
outlook, Eudora are badly affected; thunderbird less so and evolution not at
all.

I have tried rolling back our 4 Windows Server 2003 NLB CAS servers to their
pre-problem state to no effect. Checked all the usual things max connections
etc. but that all looks OK. There are numerous errors and warnings in the event
log but the pattern is the same as before the problems started and in any case
they don't seem to tie in with my session when experiencing problems.

During testing we found that connecting clients directly to particular CAS
servers resulted in no dropped connections. In the hope that problems were
being caused by a particular CAS server we tried them all but they were steady
as a rock. Now my attention turns to NLB. Whilst experiencing this problem with
outlook it goes offline and refuses to come online but if I telnet into port
143 on the NLB cluster address from the same client machine I get straight in.
What's going on there?

I have been researching NLB to see if there is anything about the way it works
that could explain this. The 4 nodes of our NLB cluster handle OWA and IMAP
connections (OWA is unaffected by the way). The port 143 and 993 rules are set
to equal load and single affinity. It appears that whatever way NLB retains the
session states a particular PC will always connect to the same node if it's
available. If I stop the node my PC usually connects to, it will switch to
another but as soon as the original node is active again it will switch back. I
tried shutting my outlook session down for a period and stopping one of the
other nodes. I then restarted the node and opened up outlook. I would have
expected that outlook would grab a session via the newly restarted, more
lightly loaded node but it just went via the same node it always uses. So it
looks as though NLB 'remembers' the first node used by a particular IP address
and will always use the same node thereafter if it's available. I'm thinking
that we have been running this NLB cluster for 3 years with at most (and
rarely) 2 nodes out of action at any one time. So -

Does this mean we have built up a large volume of session state data?
Could session state data be corrupted in such a way as to cause our IMAP
problem?
Does NLB store the session state in memory?
Is there any way of clearing the session state data?

Thanks if you've read this far!

Clive McDowell

Information Services
The Queen's University of Belfast