Check out this article
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/12/28/3397620.aspx

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 13:13:31 -0400
Subject: Exchange 2007, new receive connector setup for relay only works for a
short time
From: hgedr...@gmail.com
To: exchangelist@lyris.sunbelt-software.com

I set up a new receive connector on the hub transport (no edge transport). to
relay for an internal app server. It listens on port 587 and is set to accept
mail only from the app server IP address  I gave the connector anonymous
permission and used the Exchange management shell to give the new connector
permission to relay.

It worked for a while last night and then refused connections. I then ran
Ghostmail on the app server. When sending through the new connector I  get a
550 5.7.1 client was not authenticated.

Rebooted the Exchange server this morning. No mail is being sent from the app
server. I was able to send mail with Ghostmail through the new receive
connector. About an hour later  I tried to send mail and get  550 5.7.1 client
was not authenticated.

Any suggestions appreciated.