Thanks,

I tried that after doing what I described  and still the same deal where it
works for a while and throws the 530.5.7.1 client was not authenticated.

I also found that if I disable/enable the new receive connector via the
management console it will again handle mail  for over an hour.

Then I tried deleting the new connector and creating a new connector via the
management shell from another MS article using a different name for the
connector:

PS] C:\>New-ReceiveConnector -Name "svr4 relay" -Usage Custom -AuthMechanism
ExternalAuthoritative -PermissionGroups ExchangeServers -Bindings
192.168.5.100
:587 -RemoteIpRanges 192.168.5.111

That will handle mail for over an hour and then 530.5.7.1 client was not
authenticated. I can disable/enable the connector as I described and it will
work for over an hour.