From: Joe Pochedley [mailto:joe.poched...@fivesgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:32 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Importing PST files

I read somewhere once, years ago, that the "Do not import duplicate items"
works by matching message ID's on a folder by folder basis.  (Unfortunately I
can't find the original reference now...)

So, if you have a message with ID {1234} in subfolder base1\A and run a second
import with a new "root," say base2 ...  then obviously the new subfolder
(base2\A) will be empty and won't have any message ID's to match against...
Hence the "duplicate" messages will be imported again to the second subfolder.

This also works the same if you're doing an import, and the original folder has
duplicate messages in different subfolders..  Say a copy of message ID {1234)
exists in both base1\A and base1\B ...  That message will imported twice and
exist in both folders after the import.

Unless something has changed in the past couple of years.  :)

Joe Pochedley