Certificates all have the same quality (within their type and assuming
same number of bit and hash function, of course). The various companies
that issue certs seem to rely on their customers not quite understanding
what it's all about. And, if they apply enough window dressing, can charge
more for the same thing. See "selling water at retail for $14.00 a gallon"
for another example of this biz model.

There is obviously quality differences between different CA's (note the
recent revocation by MS of a certain CA that signed and issued fraudulent
certs). I don't know of any reliable way to determine the quality of a CA.

With that in mind, the certificatesforexchange site has been mentioned
here many times (search the archives!) and are probably just fine. But,
you check out https://www.startssl.com/?app=40 You probably will find the
costs fairly attractive compared to the alternatives. See also:
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20091010/microsoft-free-root-certificate-
authority-windows/

~JasonG