From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:07 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Ex2003 to 2010 Transition

You have touched on what, for some, is the most confusing aspect of a migration.

If you are going to be in coexistence mode, you will need at least one
additional certificate – the legacy certificate. This is used to securely
redirect users on the new server to the old server when necessary.

You MAY require a second name – the autodiscover name. You will require it if
some of your computers are not domain joined. AND if you don’t have it, you’ll
need to create a SRV record

I RECOMMEND you get a new UCC certificate that has 3 names: mail, autodiscover,
legacy – available for about USD $60 per year from certificatesforexchange.com.
It really makes configuring things much easier.

I wrote a mini-sidebar-article for EMO early last year that covers this:

You’ve decided to upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007/2010 and you
don’t want to replace your existing SSL certificate. What can you do?

First, be aware that the so-called Unified Communications certificates are
inexpensive from a number of vendors. Second, configuring and maintaining a
single-named certificate is harder and more difficult to maintain (which is
another way of saying that it costs you and your company time and money).
However, it can be done.

From a broad overview perspective, you will take the existing certificate and
install it on your new server. Then, on the new server, you will create a
“redirection site” for the new Autodiscover feature. Next, you’ll update your
internal DNS so that the name of the SSL certificate points to the IP address
of the new server. Next, you’ll update DNS to contain an SRV record that points
to the Autodiscover feature. Finally, you’ll configure Exchange to use those
names.

Sound easy? It’s harder than it sounds! 

For the details, see the white paper “Exchange 2007 Autodiscover Service” at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332063(EXCHG.80).aspx and the
knowledge base article KB940726 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940726.

I gave a 75 minute session on Exchange and SSL certificates at the Exchange
Connections conference last week and barely covered the common scenarios. The
possible permutations are many and there is a huge amount of misunderstanding
out there.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP