I would expect the PoSH stuff to run DateTime.Parse or a similar
method on its input -- didn't mean to imply that SQL was relevant
here, or that "dd-MMM-yyyy" is SQL's most native-ish format (it is
not) -- merely a format that I find easy to type, read, and which is
well understood by most systems.

IMHO the most unambiguous system datetime format is the XML datetime,
e.g., "2012-01-30T16:28:52.6193034Z", which contains no whitespace,
and clearly shows the time part and timezone.

--Steve