From: Richard Stovall [mailto:rich...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:35 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: AD site for Exchange 2010

-- Long message below.  Please pardon the verbosity. --

Part one - one question at the end.

I am incorporating a second physical location to $work.  I had been pondering a
child domain for the new location, but the reasons for possibly going in that
direction have been mitigated, and I have decided to just join the second
location to my single domain forest.

In preparation for installing a DC at the new location, I created a subnet and
site in ADSS.  I have not yet added the machine that will be the new DC to the
domain.

A few minutes after creating the new site, Exchange (single server with all
roles) stopped accepting client connections and started borking on processing
mail  (14 messages wound up in the poison message queue).

I gleaned from the Exchange server's Application log that Exchange could not
determine what AD site it is in.  (Event 2501 - Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY
(PID=1580). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this
Exchange computer - Call=DsGetSiteNameW Error code=800703e5. Make sure that
Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.)

Googling led me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025528 which gave me an
idea of how to resolve the immediate issues with Exchange.  Sure enough, nltest
/dsgetsite reported "Getting DC name failed: Status = 1919 0x77f
ERROR_NO_SITENAME".  I deleted the new site, checked AD replication, then
restarted the Exchange AD Topology service (which also restarted a host of
other dependent services).  Nltest /dsgetsite then reported
"Default-First-Site-Name".

All is seemingly back to normal, the App and System logs look good, I've
released the messages that got put into the poison message queue, mail is
flowing normally, OWA works again, and Outlook Anywhere is functioning.

Question regarding this event - Is there anything else I should look at or be
aware of as far as Exchange is concerned after an event like this?

Part two - How to fix the underlying problem? - Two questions at the end.

I took a closer look at ADSS and discovered a couple of things.  The HQ domain
was created in 2002 and has some odd quirks related to DNS name etc, but I had
never noticed something about the single ADSS subnet before.  It is named
x.x.200.192/26, but our production subnet is really x.x.200.0/23.  The Exchange
server's ip is x.x.200.216, so by pure coincidence it does actually fall into
the too-small /26 defined in ADSS.  Also coincidentally, my 3 HQ DCs fall into
the /26 range as well since they are x.x.200.246, x.x.200.247 and x.x.200.249.

The next oddity is that if I view the subnet's properties in ADSS, it is not
associated with the Default-First-Site-Name.  I can choose that site from the
drop-down list of sites, but it is blank right now.

My guess is that Exchange hasn't had issues with finding the site before
because there was only one.  My supposition is that if I associate the existing
/26 subnet definition with the site Default-First-Site-Name, that Exchange will
be able to stay in the the correct site after adding an additional one for the
new remote facility.

Question one - are these assumptions likely correct?

Question two - How can I correct the too-small subnet definition?  Is it
possible to edit the subnet, or should I look at creating a new, correctly
defined subnet that could eventually replace the current one?

I hope this all makes sense, and I apologize again for the length.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Richard

or send an email to