From: Sharp, Kevin [mailto:kevin.sh...@usask.ca]
Sent: 24 February 2012 17:20
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: internal spam

I'm wondering how people are dealing with compromised accounts in Exchange
sending large volumes of email...essentially an internal spam attack.

Occasionally a phishing attempt will make it past our spam software, and of
course the odd unsuspecting user ends up with a compromised  account which
makes a connection to the mail system via either a compromised PC or external
connection.

We notice this when the email starts piling up, and action can be taken
then..but I'm wondering if there is some software or method that might have
some more smarts.

We've had numerous incidents but so far....not an easy way to distinguish a
potential spam attack until after it happens, and the email starts piling up in
the retry queue.

I've looked at throttling policies and some of the transport filtering, not
sure if that will help us much.   What are others doing?

Thanks

Kevin Sharp

or send an email to

"Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of the
individual and not necessarily those of Hoople Ltd. You should be aware that
Hoople Ltd. monitors its email service. This e-mail and any attached files are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. This
communication may contain material protected by law from being passed on. If
you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you
are advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error
please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of it.