From: Steve Kradel [mailto:skra...@zetetic.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:29 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Experiences with on-premises Exchange 2010 and ADFS2

My understanding of the Microsoft Federation Gateway is that it's for sharing
free/busy at the server level, but not so much for federated user access to
mailboxes.  What I'm trying to describe is mailbox access alone--where Exchange
uses ADFS2 to authenticate users, whether they are hitting OWA, ActiveSync, or
RPC/HTTP--and user accounts exist to own each mailbox, but some users can only
be authenticated via federation because they do not know their passwords in the
Exchange-hosting forest.

Example: You own and operate a company, TechnoCo, which has a sophisticated
Exchange 2010 environment.  You have just acquired OtherCo, which uses Active
Directory extensively, but has no email capability at all.  The networks are a
hodgepodge of NAT and IP conflicts, so hooking up WANs and making an AD trust
is out of the question in the near term.  Without syncing passwords or managing
separate credentials, can you provision and host mailboxes at TechnoCo for
folks in OtherCo to use?

So far, based on success in the lab, I believe the answer is yes for OWA,
treating it pretty much like any web app with ADFS2 and the c2WTS.  But the
other protocols, well, that could be tricky... there is some stuff in
RpcProxy's web.config pointing to the local
Microsoft.Exchange.Security.Authentication.FederatedAuthService, which leads us
onwards to Microsoft.Exchange.ProtectedServicehost.exe, and I could start
poking at
Microsoft.Exchange.Security.Authentication.FederatedAuthService.AuthService
(which, yeah, I'll almost certainly do out of curiosity) but this may just go
farther and farther away from supported-ness.

--Steve