From: bounce-9546388-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
[mailto:bounce-9546388-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com] On Behalf Of Sean
Martin
Sent: 06 September 2012 00:33
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2010 Design Questions

Hello all,

I'm a little more than a year removed from any real Exchange management but I
am loosely involved with my company's re-vitalized effort to migrate from
Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. We recently had an Exchange PFE onsite to
assist with a high-level design for our environment. One of the recommendations
kind of threw me for a loop and I wanted to get some feedback from those of you
running Exchange 2010.

Disable Hyper-threading -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd346699.aspx: The article states:

"Hyperthreading causes capacity planning and monitoring challenges, and as a
result, the expected gain in CPU overhead is likely not justified.
Hyperthreading should be disabled by default for production Exchange servers
and only enabled if absolutely necessary as a temporary measure to increase CPU
capacity until additional hardware can be obtained."

What capacity planning and monitoring challenges are introduced? We've been
running hyper-threaded multi-core servers for many, many years and I can't
think of any challenges that were introduced. Is there a specific scenario I'm
not thinking about that is specific to Exchange capacity planning or monitoring?
FWIW, we have 6 physical servers which will be evenly distributed between two
active sites based on the latest design. Servers are Dell PowerEdge M610 blade
servers with dual 6-core procs, 24GB memory, QLogic 8GB HBAs* connecting to
Compellent Storage.

*3 servers at one site will actually leverage infiniband (4x40GB) connectivity
to Xsigo directors which will distribute vHBAs and vNICs.

Any insight would be appreciated.

- Sean

or send an email to