From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:18 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues <exchangelist@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Subject: Re: Exchange 2010 Design Questions

Thanks for the feedback. We'resupporting just over 2000 mailboxes in this
environment so we felt memory configurations were sufficient.

- Sean

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM,
<pramatow...@mediageneral.com<mailto:pramatow...@mediageneral.com>> wrote:
We have 6500 mbx, ~2G worth in them, 6 servers in two sites, 3 active DB's on
each server, each DB had a copy local and a copy in the cross-site (hope that
makes sense). Avg mbx 250mb, range from a couple mb to 10G. The smaller mbx's
are throwaways, the larger are generic shared mbx's. Virtually all are running
in cached mode, 2K3, 2K7 with a smattering of 2K10 clients. Probably 4500
clients are at the far end of dual or quad T1's with a cable modem B/U, QOS on
all the links so mail gets at most 40-50%. Intra site is 10G, intra site is
250-300Mb (I think)

That's a bit of background, the servers are Dell 510's , dual 6 core procs
hyperthreaded so 24 "cores" each server. (2.66 Xeon fwiw) kicker? Each DB and
logs for each DB are on a 7500 rpm drive (circular logging) eek.

Have never had an issue with cpu in that config. Saw things that recommended
turning off hyperthreading, was ready to do so if necessary but looking at day
to day ops, maintenance, us running scripts, doing junk on a server, it just
never was necessary.

Now the only thing I'd wonder is your memory- we're at 48G in each server, not
sure if 24 would work for us.

Ymmv.

Blackberry