So, it's month end, and our UK office is noticing that emails are not
processing outbound from their office. All of their emails come
through the US server, to be delivered wherever, and there are some
big emails (4-8mbytes) with proposals and orders and such, and they're
getting desperate. Lots of little emails are stuck in queue too,
though if left alone they seem to trickle out, while the big messages
go to retry status.

It's already been a long day for me, having been woken up at 3am
because they switched over to a new DSL provider, and couldn't log
into the router to set up the PPOA configuration. (pay attention -
that's a clue...)

While I'm trying to troubleshoot this, the nominal IT manager above me
is freaking out and deleting messages from the outbound queue on the
UK Exchange server, restarting services multiple times, rebooting the
UK server, and generally showing all of the patience and investigative
skill of a 4yo.

I leave the office at 18:00 to pick up my son at daycare, and arrive
home and start ignoring everything else except the problem with
Exchange. (I have a very good wife, and I deeply appreciate her
patience with me!)

I get frustrated, and turn up logging on a bunch of Exchange services,
then bounce both the UK and US servers remotely, just so I have a
clean starting point in the logs.

Finally I notice a 4000 message from MSExchangeTransport on the US
server (along with some 4006 messages from the same source on the UK
server), and hit paydirt.

EventID.net turns up reference to MTU sizes.

I adjust the firewall in our UK office from 1500 to 1450, and
transport of my test message with a 12mbyte text attachment flies
through.

I test once more with the same attachment, just to be sure.

Success.

I am now going to bed.

Good night.

Kurt

PS - I'll turn down the logging tomorrow, when I have a few minutes to
breathe at work.