Greetings,
You did not mention your EXCHANGE and client versions?
I support EXCHANGE 2010.x with 1300 users so that is my caveat.

Regarding performance issues, unless you have some server issues, I have not
heard about the folder location being a performance issue.
I would suggest you determine if your clients are using ONLINE or CACHED mode
just so you know.
There can be site specific setups on why you are using either/both
configurations.

As others noted, if you have Retention Tags, then you have to know where they
are applied.

At my site, we apply to the INBOX (and some other standard folders) , and that
is where our users create sub folders.
But YMMV if this is not an issue.

Again, I am not aware of a folder performance issue with any of this, and more
of an operational and support issue managing your EXCHANGE environment.

Hope this helps or please post any questions.

Thanks
Dana

There's a debate going on in my group about the best practice for placing
Outlook subfolders.  One group is saying it doesn't matter, so let users
continue creating subfolders under the Inbox.  While one group argues that
Inbox subfolders do affect Outlook performance, so they said subfolders must be
placed under the root of the maillbox.  So, I'd like to heard both sides of the
arguments on this list.  I personally don't think it's an issue where it's
placed.  Thanks.