From: KevinM [mailto:kev...@wlkmmas.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:12 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: ActiveSync + Throttling + IOS

I am tracking an issue for a number of customers where apple IOS devices are
causing the %time in AD throttling policy to fire due to devices performing
full GAL lookups for each key press. My feeling is that this is an IOS design
flaw that should be fixed. Windows Phone searches local device contacts then
presents an option to  attach to GAL; A much less expensive task for an
Exchange server.  Too an end user the symptoms are delayed send and receive.
Most noticeable are messages waiting to be sent on the device until the
throttling blocking is removed.

The issue can be seen when you correlate IIS logs throttling errors with
Activesync Mailbox logs and you look for <query>

RequestHeader :

POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/default.eas?User=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Search
 HTTP/1.1

RequestBody :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<Search xmlns="Search:">

<Store>

<Name bytes="3"/>

<Query>r</Query>

I am wondering if anyone else is running into this issue?

or send an email to