box once a month or so, but those days are long gone. I really don't know
what people do to their Windows boxes if they have to reboot them "multiple
times a day".

They run exchange, and the wonderfully designed and efficient "store.exe" consumes all available RAM until the server stops responding and kills exchange until it is rebooted. Given the choice of waiting for the crash to happen during work hours, or setting scheduled a restart a 7:00am every morning, we choose to FORCE a reboot every day to fix the leaks. Since we started rebooting every day our crashes have stopped. Re-booting every day is the ONLY way to keep exchange working at our sites.

They patch them. *

At least, from observing others, that seems to be standard
practice (and it generally requires a reboot). Personally, I patch
all the Linux systems each morning if there are things that need
updating, during work time. No-one notices.

Matthew

* Admittedly not "multiple times a day", though.

Reboots don't have to be down to Exchange patches it's one big mess of Active-Directory, IIS, JET and Windows itself. Installing a new version of IE requires a reboot. Even plugging in a USB device can require a reboot.

All of my problems can be fixed by adding more memory, more processors and usually by upgrading to the latest version. Quite often I find a technet article that says "this is a known problem", "we know what causes it", "we know how to fix it", "however we wont, upgrade to version XYZ, we accept VISA, MASTERCARD, AMEX..."

Why should anyone be forced to buy a new product if the original product is faulty and the manufacturer refuses to fix it (in order to increase sales of new products)

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Exchange is a great product (except sales people), I think users learn to love it and administrators learn to hate it and just look for ways to throw more resources at it to keep it up.

Since replacing Exchange with Scalix a four man team has been able to get back to some "real" IT work which helped us reduce IT costs in a multi-million dollar company by 75% this year, isn't that what IT depts should be doing instead of trying to keep buggy software together or just constantly handing out the protection money for new versions.

Jason