On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Yves Goergen wrote:

> Thank you very much, Nigel. Should I now hate you for that? Well, should
> be no problem to get off it again. Anyway, the entire rfc-ignorant site
> seems a bit broken, since *.de is on the whois list... What is a service
> worth that "blocks out" *all* German domains?! And who knows what else.

rfc-ignorant merely makes statements of fact: that certain sites or
domains or hosts do, or do not do, certain things.  The data can be used
for many things; some purposes are wise, and some are less so.  But that's
for the user of the data to decide for himself (and to shoot himself in
the foot with, if he so chooses).

I'm not sure that fact that _you_ have never used a postmaster address
means that they are irrelevant or useless.  Many of us have used them, and
continue to hope that we can do so in future for an arbitrary domain.

Yes the spam to the postmaster address is tedious, but is a partly
unavoidable consequence of responsibly operating a mail service under best
current practice.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services