--On 6 December 2008 20:45:55 +0000 Graeme Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 11:36 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
>> I do use recipient callout and that is my work around. However there are
>> legitimate reasons not to always honor 5xy codes when you KNOW the
>> reason it is being rejected is a mistake.
>
> No there are not. There may be instances where you KNOW the remote MTA
> is broken, but that does not mean you should code around what the RFCs
> tell you are the standards for this protocol.
>
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5321.txt
>
> 4.2.1.  Reply Code Severities and Theory
> 5yz  Permanent Negative Completion reply
>   The command was not accepted and the requested action did not
>   occur.  The SMTP client SHOULD NOT repeat the exact request (in
>   the same sequence).  Even some "permanent" error conditions can be
>   corrected, so the human user may want to direct the SMTP client to
>   reinitiate the command sequence by direct action at some point in
>   the future (e.g., after the spelling has been changed, or the user
>   has altered the account status).

It seems to me that this supports Marc Perkel's claims. Note the use of
"SHOULD NOT" rather than "MUST NOT", and the last sentence which talks
about correcting "permanent" errors.

That said, and it would almost always be wrong to do this, so I can't see
it ever getting into the main code. Perhaps an "EXPERIMENTAL" build
option...

Better, by far, to focus on DKIM, SPF, or whatever people think will help
to eliminate the problem of unaccountability of sender addresses.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex