On 05/10/15 11:06, Heiko Schlichting wrote:
> Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
>> Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@maven.pl> (So 04 Okt 2015 21:44:10 CEST):
>>>
>>> 4.87 (or 4.86.1) is really needed it seems :-/
[...]
>> 4.86.<n> is reserved for security fixes. And a new 4.xx release would
>> need more testing.
>
> I strongly disagree. The lastest exim release should always usable and
> stable. We had several releases in the past just correcting one or few
> bugs (e.g. exim releases 4.84, 4.71, 4.66, 4.65).

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing about the numbering or the
need for testing.

> Requiring the secret knowledge of undocumented git branches is not
> supporting those of us which build exim from source (latest release).

Hardly secret; the existence and content of the branch was
published (in the exim-maintainers list).  The fix is also
in the master branch, if you track that.

It is unfortunately the case that mistakes will be made,
bugs will creep in, and testing will be insufficient to
discover some bugs.

More thorough code-review, and more test-development can
help to some (small) extent.  However, we are resource-limited
in developer time which is needed for those plus new-feature
development and maintenance bugfixing, and will be needed for
the next release.

Additional volunteers would be welcome.
--
Jeremy