Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> Heiko Schlichting <exim-us...@fu-berlin.de> (Mo 05 Okt 2015 12:06:22 CEST):
> > > 4.86.<n> is reserved for security fixes. And a new 4.xx release would
> > > need more testing.
> > Requiring the secret knowledge of undocumented git branches is not
> > supporting those of us which build exim from source (latest release).
>
> It was discussed on exim-devel and announced on exim-devel and
> exim-maintainers (I'm not sure about exim-users). Of course, for
> fetching the git master or for downloading exim-4.86.tar.gz you're not
> urged to follow any of Exim lists.

Usually I build exim on production systems based on releases, not git HEAD.
Our git cloning mechanism was configured to copy master into a local
"upstream" branch, so there was no +fixes branch here.

> (But I'm sure, you follow, thus you should have read the announcements.
> So I suppose you're not talking about yourself :)

Uh, oh. Normally I follow the discussions but around the release of 4.86 my
newborn (second) son had blocked "some" ressources. I've totally missed the
existence of the +fixes branch.

So I was really surprised few days ago after upgrading exim 4.85 to 4.86
and had crashes on different servers. Instead of trying HEAD, I rolled back
to 4.85 immediately. After some digging I noticed that the problem was
already fixed.

It would be no problem for me to cherry-pick the bugfix. I just expected
a new release for every severe bug (=crashes in normal production). I agree
that it is possible to use the +fixes branch but it does not match my
expectations what releases are for.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting                Freie Universität Berlin
heiko.schlicht...@fu-berlin.de   Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung
Telefon +49 30 838-54327         Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327         14195 Berlin