On Mon, 19 Dec 2022, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:

Hi, folks,

    Twice recently, my outbound SMTP server has stopped working for no
apparent reason. There's nothing in the logs but this:

Dec 19 10:02:22 mailserver2 systemd: Starting Postfix Mail Transport
Agent...

Dec 19 10:02:22 mailserver2 systemd: Stopping Exim Mail Transport Agent...

Dec 19 10:02:22 mailserver2 systemd: Stopped Exim Mail Transport Agent.

Dec 19 10:02:22 mailserver2 systemd: Started Postfix Mail Transport Agent.

    This is new behavior. Postfix had (I thought) been happily passing
mail off to Exim until just recently. What's up?

Exim knows nothing about systemd.

What OS is this ?
My guess is that systemd "knows" that you can't have two mail servers running at the same time.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                   and...@aitchison.me.uk