Yes, the recipients are all non-local.

I was focused on preventing useless bounce messages, but now I think I take
your point: Calling the ACL on all mail prevents bounces, correct?

As to when this is called, I would put it on our egress node, which only
has acl_check_rcpt. I planned to put it after that. So more like this?

acl_check_vrfy:

  deny

        !verify = recipient/callout

I didn't put a time-out on it when I was just doing senderless mail--that's
an unusual occurrence for us, so I wasn't as worried about the time it
takes--but perhaps I should.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 1:15 PM Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <
exim-users@exim.org> wrote:

> On 20/01/2023 18:18, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:
> >       I've been doing some research on recipient verification to
> eliminate
> > bounces, and am wondering if it's as simple something like this at the
> end
> > of my ACL list:
> >
> > acl_check_vrfy:
> >
> >    deny
> >
> >          senders = ''
> >
> >          !verify = recipient/callout
> >
> >       Surely it's not that simple, but I'm at a loss as to what else is
> > needed
>
> You didn't say when you'd be calling this ACL, nor why you'd
> only be verifying bounces.  Not generating bounces yourself
> is also worthy, which means validating recipients of nonbounce
> messages; using the routers and possibly transports to do the
> validation (which is what "verify" does) is one way.
>
> I assume the recipients you are validating are non-local
> to this box, since you specify callout.  But you could be
> confused about the intent of recipient verification.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>    Jeremy
>

> --

John Adams
Senior Linux/Middleware Administrator  | Information Technology Services
+1-501-916-3010 | jxad...@ualr.edu | http://ualr.edu/itservices
*UA Little Rock*

Reminder:  IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or
in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that
come via email, even from known contacts.  For more information or to
report suspicious email, visit IT Security
<http://ualr.edu/itservices/security/>.