On Thu, 04 Mar 1999, you wrote:
> I'm running Linux Mandrake 5.3 w/KDE.  Here is my problem :
>
> I have a Lucent modem that supports the V.90 standard (56000kbps.)  I have
> it mapped to ttyS1 for com2 and it recognizes that the modem is there.
> When I click connect it says modem ready and then goes to setting the
> volume.  It doesn't do anything after that.  After a while it will just
> time out.

G'day

Ah, maybe I can help here as I had a very similar problem with one of my modems.

Issue the following commands to the modem

AT&V
if X4 is there
ATX3
AT&W0 (thats Wzero)
ATZ

The thing behind this is the modem I had the problem with was a discovery modem
and it could not detect the Australian Dialtone.

 --

Michael Doyle
Adelaide, South Australia