On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 11:42:20PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 05:59:04PM -0700, Dan Brown wrote:
> > "James J. Capone" wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to use VMware with very poor results.  My system ran twice as slow,
> > > mouse wouldn't work in Linux if it was in full screen mode. Would only
> > > accept 16 color format for Video. And more problems arose as I went along.
> >
> >     In addition to your lack of memory (VMware recommends at least 64MB;
> > I'm happier at 192), it also sounds like you didn't install the
> > vmware-tools in NT/95/98.  The difference those made in display speed
> > was amazing on my system.
>
> One of the things I noticed on the VMware FAQ pages was a recommendation to
> create a new hardware profile to allow Windows to distinguish between native
> booting and VMware-booting.  I'd like to be able to use my native Windows
> partition under VMware, but with Windows being as unstable as it is, I'd
> hate to give it another reason to crap out and die.
>
> Anyone know how to create a hardware profile?

Hmm... bad form to reply to my own message, I know.

The documentation for creating hardware profiles is available in the
Documentation section of the VMware site.

It's almost surprising just how good the documentation for this thing is.  I
printed out the 15 or so pages of stuff that looked relevant and I haven't
hit anything yet it didn't answer.

Almost makes me feel like I should save the money and buy the thing when it
comes out of beta...  :)

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]