On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 11:38:37PM +0200, Tom Berger wrote:
> On Don, 29 Apr 1999, you wrote: / Am Don, 29 Apr 1999 schrieben Sie:
> > mike montgomery wrote:
> >
> > > while running netscape click on edit then preferences then click on font.
> > > You will get a list of the fonts to choose from. You also can resize them.
> >
> > Well, will you believe it, when I do this, nothing significant happens !
> > NetScape redraws evrything, but the font is still desperately smaaal, giving
> > www browsing on Linux/X that weird feel.. :-\
> >
> > Why are the "increase/decrease " menu entries grayed out ? Very frustrating,
> > that..
> >
> > ...sorry to sneak in (NS 4.08 on RH 5.2)
> >
> > Bye
> >

> Hm, do you are per chance run xfstt and have TrueTypes chosen? xfstt
> doesn't scale TrueTypes.
> Switch back to a default font like helvetica, make sure you have the
> 100-dpi-fonts installed. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config. Mine looks like this:
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
> [asf.]
> That ensures that the large fonts are loaded first.

Alternatively, you could edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfstt and add a '--res 120'
to the line which startx xfstt.  This will cause the fonts to be rendered a
bit larger by default.  The 120 portion can be adjusted if you need them
even larger.  Just take the default point size you want (12, 14, etc),
multiply it by 10 and insert it.

I use that here since Netscape won't let you use anything but the default
size for xfstt-served fonts.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]