Well, I finally re-installed Venus again, and tried to use the
kernel-smp-fb (version 2.2.9) package.  It didn't work, and I think I figured
out why:

1) Venus by default comes with the following line in lilo.conf
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19mdk
instead of
image=/boot/vmlinuz

although there IS a link from /boot/vmlinuz to the actual kernel.

So, even if the /sbin/installkernel script had worked correctly,
lilo would still have loaded the old kernel, however:

2) For some reason, the /sbin/installkernel script didn't work correctly.
It was meant to make backup copys of the old stuff, and then create a link
from /boot/vmlinuz to the new kernel, and from /boot/System.map to the new
map.  However it didn't do so, instead making a file called "vmlinuz-"
which has zero bytes in the /boot directory.
Before I could document exactally what whent wrong (I suspect something about
everything after the dash being left out) I fixed the problem by setting up
the links correctly and changing the Image= line in the lilo.conf file,
re-ran lilo and it worked!

So, The RPM didn't work, posibly because of two reasons 1) because of the
default lilo.conf file, and 2) the install script either has a bug, or my
computer has some bug that keeps it from working (this was a brand new venus
install)

Anyways, I think that my original problem was me forgetting to link the new
System.Map, but that particular RPM also has a problem.

I'm also wondering why the Image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19mdk line is in the
default lilo.conf if everything else says to make a link from /boot/vmlinuz
(which should be set in lilo.conf)

Thanks to all the people who sent me suggestions, specific replys follow:

To: Axalon
Yes, bzlilo will force a bzImage if not already done. When I do a
bzImage I can walk away and eat something, then come back and run bzlilo
(which now only takes 30 seconds or so).

To Bernhard:
I didn't know that mandrake had various diffrent kernels in RPM format,
that was nice to find out.
However, eventually I *WILL* want to install something wierd where there isn't
a standard kernel for (secure filesystem, whatever..) so I wanted to find out
what went wrong.
        I also didn't realize that when it "hung" it wasn't really a fatal
error and pressing CTRL-C would get me past it (without modules, but hey) that
was nice to know.
(didn't remember the "depmod -a" command before I fixed it, so dont' know what
the results would have been).

To Tom:
I'm not SURE, but I think I probably forgot to move the System.Map or
link it correctly..Thanks.

Jay Summet