After I received no responses to my query I went ahead and re-installed
Mandrake on my computer.  The install would abnormally exit right when
it was formatting the hard drive.  I tried twice and it failed at the same
spot.  So I enabled "Bad block checking" and everything worked fine.

So it is quite possible that my original GLIBC related problems may be
because of my bad hard drive.  Everything seems to be working fine now.

Mubashir