Hi

Jean-Louis Debert wrote:

> I had exactly the same, also on a VIA chipset. You must disable
> (comment out) the "HD optimizations" in your rc.sysinit file.
> See (for example) previous thread <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> from Thierry Vignaud.
> To summarize, there is in rc.sysinit a "HD optimization" which has
> completely wrong parameters. You find it by looking for hdparm
> in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

They are not wrong. It's just that not all hard eide controllers are
fully compliant the standards. For example, the VIA chipsets are buggy
(mine cannot do full udma transfert from my cdrom to my hd for
instance). We used to speed up the hd with hdparm. It is dangerous with
some disks (well, with a lot of controllers). We'd rather speed up eide
access by asking the kernel to do it.
try 'linux append="ide0=autotune"' instead of 'linux' at lilo boot (or
in your dos loadlin batch file) [use ide0 for hda/hdb, ide1 for hdc,hdd
....] after commenting the hdparm lines from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
The kernel will enable full optimizations on the hd. My maxtor win a
speedup from 5Mo/s to 12,8Mo/sec with my via chipset. On recent disks
(ATA/66)  + controller, you can reach the speed of 15Mo/s. At the
opposite, the slower udma disk do transferts at 8Mo/sec (with an udma
controller of course!)
If operate smoothly (add it to your /etc/lilo.conf) but try first it
with a hand-added parameter to lilo : i'v seen _1_ computer that lock at
ide detection at boot.
For further information, see
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/{ide.txt,kernel-parameters} and
bootparam(5).

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                         --Thierry