>Hello,
>
>I installed Mandrake 6.0 some weeks ago. Everything
>(excepted sound...) works fine, but yesterday I noticed that
>I am running with DMA disabled (dmesg excerpt reported below).
>
>I checked the BIOS setup, and it says  something like
>"AUTO detection of HDD features enabled".
>
>The MB is a FIC with VIA chipset, unfortunately I forgot to write
>it down..
>
>Note: this machine has only MANDRAKE installed: WIN98 was
>installed by the vendor just to check that all HW was ok,
>but the whole HDD was reformatted during Mandrake installation.
>
>Any idea about why this is happening, and how to fix it?
>(different configurations, LILO parameters, etc...)
>
>Thank you in advance,
>                        Marco Fioretti

   I had the just about the same thing happen and it turned out to be a
cable that was not very good. It also happens if I try to overclock my bus
ro 75MHz. I am not running a VIA chipset but you may check it out anyway.

Aaron Winters, Electronic Imaging Manager.
Garner Printing, http://camalott.com/~garner
http://camalott.com/~kaw