Mandrake really needs 3 lists:
- newbie
- KnowEnuf2bDangerous
- expert

See if you can guess which category I'm in.  Anyway...

1. I like to use my vi keys for command line editing (ESC-K brings up the last
command).  In RH 6.0 and prior versions, I've put "set -o vi" in /etc/bashrc
and it worked fine.  With Mandrake 6.0, the only way I can set the vi keys is
to type "set -o vi" after I'm in the shell (bash).  I've tried putting it
in /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile, $HOME/.bashrc, and $HOME/.bashrc_profile, but
nothing works.

2. I can't exactly remember, but I thought I was compiling apps just fine when I
first installed Mandrake.  Last night, I got all of the updates (including the
kernel update) and installed them.  When I tried to compile a KDE app, it did
not see any of the compilers (g++, gcc, etc.).  Then I noticed pgcc was no
longer installed.  I re-installed it, but now when I run "configure" for
WebMaker, I get:

checking for jpeglib... configure: error:
You need jpeglib6a. Please install the kdesupport package.
If you have already installed kdesupport, you may have an
old libjpeg somewhere.
In this case copy /usr/lib/libjpeg* to /usr/lib.

That last line makes absolutely no sense to me.  Then if I:

/home/tking$ rpm -qa | grep ^kde
kdesupport-1.1.1final-9mdk
kdelibs-1.1.1final-8mdk
kdenetwork-1.1.1final-4mdk
kdeadmin-1.1.1final-5mdk
kdegames-1.1.1final-5mdk
kdegraphics-1.1.1final-4mdk
kdemultimedia-1.1.1final-6mdk
kdesu-0.4-1mdk
kdetoys-1.1.1-2mdk
kdeutils-1.1.1final-6mdk

/home/tking$ ls -l /usr/lib/libjpeg* /usr/lib/jpeglib*
ls: /usr/lib/jpeglib*: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Jul  9 13:36 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 ->
libjpeg.so.62.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       139271 May 11 09:44 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0

Help with either problem would be appreciated.

--
Timothy King, [EMAIL PROTECTED]