>This might not be an "expert" question, but I can't believe it's a "newbie"
>one, so here goes. My video card (ATI Expert 98) and monitor (Viewsonic
>PT771) both support 1600x1200, but neither Mandrake nor Red Hat seem able to
>get there. Caldera got it right.
>
>Can anyone tell me how to make it work (preferably without damaging my
>monitor or card in the process)?

You can read the XFree86-Video-Timings HOWTO which shows you how to make your own
modelines to put in XF86Config.  It's pretty easy to follow.  If you still have the
XF86Config from the Caldera install, copy the 1600x1200 modeline out of it and paste
it into your new install.  I'm assuming that modeline was correctly configured.

Jelai