>I am using a 'PPP' link to my IPS.  Usually 'pppd' creates a
>'/var/run/ppp0.pid' which contains the PID of that process.  You can use
>this to kill the PPP process and break the connection later.  But in case
>of Linux-Mandrake 'pppd' creates a '/etc/ppp/ppp0.pid' file instead, which
>is not standard.  Because all '.pid' files should go to '/var/run'
>directory and not some place else.  I want to know how can I fix this.  I
>mean how can I make 'pppd' to create it's 'ppp0.pid' in the '/var/run'
>(standard place) and not '/etc/ppp'.

That's interesting.  My masq'ing box is running rh5.2 right now, so I haven't observed
this behavior.  But according to convention, things that are in existence only for
certain durations (like temp files and spooled files) should go in /var.

Can anyone associated with the Mandrake project tell us why this was done?

Jelai