Aaron W. wrote:

> I know this is off topic but I need an answer and I know yall can help :)
> Does it matter what order you put the wires in the rj45 as per color as
> long as it is the same on both ends of the cable? I am having hell getting
> a cable to work! The cable is going from computer to hub and id cat5 wire.
> The link leds on my hub blink for both speeds (outosensing) as if it can
> not determin the speed. I have looked at other wires on the hub and the are
> different in color order but like I asked does it matter as long as both
> ends are the same?
> Thanks,

It would not matter if they were dc signals or real low speed.
But with ethernet, each PAIR of wires services a signal, and they
are twisted together to keep crosstalk down.  If you mix the
orders up, you may end up with one transmit wire wrapped around
one receive wire with dire consequences.  This is particularly
true of 100 mHz, although in a 5 foot or longer jumper it probably
becomes an issue at 10 mHz as well.

Pairs are usually a color, and the second wire is white with
trace of the color.  As in blue and blue/white.  It is easy
to figure out which wires are the pair.  However, in the RJ-45
connector, the pairs are NOT 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.  They are in some
different order which I do not have handy.  For this reason you
should look at an ethernet connector and make sure you maintain
the same color combination.  I suppose you could swap the PAIR
colors, but the wire pairs have to be kept as wire pairs even if
their particular pair color does not matter.

--
Ramon Gandia  ---    Sysadmin  ---  http://www.nook.net
285 West 1st Avenue              ISP for Western Alaska